The National Institute for African Studies (NIAS) is a London-based think tank that provides objective information on African affairs, looking to appoint a Research Assistant within its office in Wimbledon.
The position would appeal to individuals who are looking to gain experience and detailed knowledge on the cultural, socio-economic and political dynamics of Africa. The core task of the Research Assistant is to provide research and administrative support to the NIAS London office.
A substantial part of the research work will focus on Sahel countries’ affairs and international relations revolving around them.
- Carrying out basic study, data-gathering and desktop research under the direction and a supervision
- Organising materials in an effective and replicable manner
- Performing, as required, basic administrative tasks, which comprise general office administration, scheduling, supporting in organising NIAS events and assisting the supervisor to attend external conferences
- Promoting new ideas along with completing existing projects
- Demonstrating the ability to multitask, meet deadlines and demonstrate initiative and autonomy while working under the supervision
- Embracing both administrative and research duties as a career development
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE MUST
- Have an undergraduate degree
- Enjoy researching on the affairs in Africa and promoting solutions to specific issues
- Demonstrate excellent writing and analytical skills, together with high attention to detail
- Have experience in conducting quality desktop research
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Covering Letter
The position is based in London, UK. Only candidates who already possess the right to work in the UK should apply. The contract is for six months with a probation period of four weeks, extendable upon agreement and contingent on a continued volunteer/paid position. Candidates should send a covering letter explaining the skills they would offer to NIAS, attaching a CV and a list of referees. The deadline for the application is August 15. Due to the high number of applicants, only those selected will be contacted.
To apply to this role, please email email@example.com