Want to make a difference in a young person's life? Carers Support Merton is looking for mentors to inspire a young carer to reach their full potential and achieve their goals.
There are believed to be at least 1500* young carers in Merton. You may already know a young carer without even realising it (39% young carers say that nobody at school knows they care).
Young carers provide care to a family member, usually a parent or sibling who cannot look after themselves due to disability, mental or physical ill health or substance misuse. These young people are often very proud of their role, but they need help and support to access and achieve education. They want to enjoy hobbies and social activities in the same way as their peers. Recent research shows that up to one in five secondary school children may be a young carer. But many children’s caring responsibilities begin much earlier, some carers are just five or six years old.
HOW YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- Carers Support Merton is looking for Volunteer Mentors for a period of 6-12 months
- Meeting fortnightly you will develop a long-term relationship with a young carer and be a positive role model, helping them to develop their self-esteem and realise their academic, social and/or personal goals.
- You will research, plan and participate in mentoring activities with a young carer to broaden their interests and provide an opportunity to engage in fun activities in the local community and give them a break from their caring responsibilities.
- They are looking for reliable, committed and patient individuals who are empathetic to the needs of young carers, are good communicators and active listeners. You must be able to meet with your mentee for two hours once a fortnight for a minimum of 6-12 months.
- In return, you will gain experience working with young people, have the opportunity to help a young carer to build their confidence and achieve their goals, receive free training in mentoring and child protection and have the ongoing support of their Mentoring Co-ordinator.
Please click here to find out more and to register your interest in the volunteering opportunity.
Submitted by email@example.com on February 28, 2020