Today, 10th October 2018, is world Mental Health Day and an ideal time to reflect on how we can promote positive mental health and wellbeing in our work places. Below are 5 simple tips to create a healthier work place:
• Set up a wellbeing committee to raise awareness and promote mental health & wellbeing issues.
• Carry out an anonymous employee survey to gauge colleague’s sense of wellbeing and identify any issues or potential issues.
• Insist that colleagues take breaks, at least 30 minutes at lunch when they are away from their desk/task. Likewise encourage colleagues to take all their annual leave entitlement and utilise all TOIL accrued.
• Provide the space for open discuss and the time for one-to-one support.
• Encourage colleagues to be active – organise some fun activities that you can undertake together; lunch time walks, bring and share lunches, provide free healthy snacks
( this does not have to be daily – our office has adopted a fortnightly Fruity Fridays), mindfulness exercises and activities, quizzes and games.
Mind has a helpful factsheet on Promoting Wellbeing at work, which you can download Here
Submitted by sallym on October 10, 2018