The purpose of role is to select and deliver library books to local residents who cannot get to their local library, or have anyone to go for them.
- Book Selectors: Choose books for Home Visits Library clients ready for Drivers to deliver
- Shelvers: Put away returned books and talking books and keep shelves tidy.
- Drivers: Deliver selected books and talking books to Home Visits Library individual clients and care homes. Collect books from clients and return to library.
- Admin Support: Taking messages from Home Visits Library ansaphone; responding to enquiries from potential clients and volunteers.
Skills and Experience
- The ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with library staff, other volunteers and members of the public.
- A basic understanding of how the Library Service operates, either in general terms or in the candidate's personal experience.
- Ability to effectively communicate and engage with people of all ages, races, cultures and abilities.
- Reliable, confident and responsible individual, with enthusiasm and effective interpersonal skills.
- The ability to cope with the duties and responsibilities of the post and the associated environment, including an understanding of health and safety.
- Drivers: Clean driving licence. Own car.
- Driver role requires lifting and carrying boxes/bags of books between the library/car/clients’ homes.
- DBS checks carried out on all Home Visits Library volunteer Drivers prior to starting role.
A one-morning induction and introduction to the library and Library and Heritage Services. The London Borough of Merton has a wide range of corporate learning opportunities including access to IT training. As a volunteer for Library and Heritage Services, volunteers will have full access to these learning opportunities provided that they are relevant to the duties they are expected to undertake.
To apply to this role, please email email@example.com