Good financial management systems are an important key to success in any organisation. MVSC’s Community Accountancy Service aims to help local voluntary organisations improve their accounting systems and records.
We can offer a range of different kinds of support to help you get on top of financial management. Our motto is “the simpler the better”.
|One to one advice sessions
These are available to anyone involved in running an organisation’s finances. We can help with setting up financial policies and procedures, keeping proper books and records, reporting to the committee, computerising accounts and complying with statutory and funder requirements.
|Group training courses
In addition to the one to one training we also offer a range of financial training courses. These are advertised on Merton Connected which can be found at our home page.
|Financial health checks
Through partner organisations, we can conduct a thorough review of financial systems and make recommendations. An alternative to this is the new Financial Feet Finder which is slightly less detailed than a full financial health check but will highlight areas of weakness.
Telephone or email advice
|Fact sheets and sample spreadsheets
We have a number of fact sheets and example spreadsheets which you might find useful.
- Accounting requirements for small groups
- Budgets for small groups: 15 steps to effective financial control
- Financial feet finder
- Full cost recovery
- Managing petty cash
- Opening and operating a bank account
- Reporting to the committee
- Setting up a bookkeeping system
- The role of treasurer
- Cash book and bank reconciliation template
- Simple cash book
- Full cost recovery template single project
- Full cost recovery template multi-project
- Employment cost calculator
- Salary Calculator
Other useful web sites
- Companies House provides information on starting and running companies.
- NCVO offers a range of support services on fundraising including a fundraising and finance newsletter.
- Cash-Online Run by Community Accountancy Self Help, Cash-Online provides financial advice and training for small charities and voluntary groups.
- KnowHowNonProfit has a range of useful information about funding and income.
- The Charity Commission provides advice and information on running charities, including information on how to manage money and accounts and on fundraising.