For the foreseeable future, Hearts and Minds will be taking the form of an online group! These digital hangouts will be open to any 14-25 year olds with experience of mental health difficulties, regardless of where you are in the UK or whether you’ve previously attended one of our groups before!
To take part, you will need to contact Liv or Beth at firstname.lastname@example.org and download a free app called Zoom. Once we receive your email, we will be in touch for a quick 1 to 1 to welcome you and explain how the group works. Below is the group schedule and some tips and tricks for you to explore whilst using Zoom.
THE GROUP TIMETABLE
- Monday 3-4pm: Activity Group
- Thursday 7-8pm: Activity group
- Saturday 3-4pm: MH Check In
You are welcome to attend as many or as few sessions as you like, and if you find its not for you, there’s no pressure to come back! The schedule of what activities we’ll be doing each week will be listed on our social media pages.
HOW ZOOM WORKS
Zoom is an online digital hang out space, which can host large amounts of users. You can use it on a laptop, smartphone or tablet, or by calling in on a standard phone. The instructions for how to join will be in the invite. On a laptop, tablet or smartphone:
- In the top right-hand corner, you are able to choose between viewing everyone on one screen in a grid format, or having the host centralised with other screens at the top. We recommend the grid format for group sessions.
- Zoom uses technology to focus on whoever is speaking, and circles them with a glowing yellow outline, making conversation easier to follow.
- You can be as involved or not involved as you like. There is no pressure to speak, and if needed, you can turn your camera or audio off on the bottom left hand corner.
- You can also take part by using the text chat box in the bottom of the screen.
FUN STUFF TO KNOW
- You can change your background to whatever you want! Next to the video button there is an arrow, if you click on this you will have an option that says ‘Choose virtual background’. You can select existing backgrounds or upload one of your choice. This may be helpful for people who don’t wish to share their rooms, or who (like me) want to pretend they are on the beach.
- We recommend wearing headphones if you don’t want others to overhear, but if you don’t have any, try to be mindful about joining from a room that’s not going to be noisy or distracting. Also if you’re doing anything noisy like eating, typing or speaking to someone please mute yourself!
- If you want to share an image with the group or show something that is on your screen, you can click the ‘Share screen’ button. This means everyone will see your computer screen as you see it – so please be mindful of what’s in your browsers!