Merton Libraries is looking for volunteers to get involved. One of our core roles is Children's Activity volunteers, where, amongst other things, you would help to plan, organise and implement a programme of structured children's activities, including story time, rhyme time, arts and crafts, Summer Reading Challenge, and one-to-one reading.
You would also prepare and organise the set-up of any equipment or resources for the children's activities, work with library staff to increase participation levels, help to initiate and maintain contacts in the local community, and monitor and assist in improving the quality of service delivered in children's activities.We are looking to fill this role within all seven of our libraries in the borough.
You will have the chance to meet and help people from the local community, creating a sense of achievement. In volunteering with us, you will build experience and develop your skills to enhance a college, university or job application.
- The ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with library staff, other volunteers and members of the public
- A basic understanding of how the Library Service operates, either in general terms or in the candidate's personal experience
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications (Word, Internet Explorer, Excel) and basic computer functions (printing, email etc)• Ability to effectively communicate and engage with people of all ages, races, cultures and abilities
- Patient and approachable manner with members of the public
- Reliable, confident and responsible individual, with enthusiasm and effective interpersonal skills
- The ability to cope with the duties and responsibilities of the post and the associated environment, including an understanding of health & safety.
To apply, please email Library.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8545 3783