Merton Giving has launched the Merton Giving Coronavirus Fund, providing £150,000 of financial support to organisations working locally that are either delivering COVID-19 front line services or whose organisation’s ability to operate has been impacted by the measures put in place to stem the COVID-19 pandemic.
This grant fund is intended to provide urgent financial support, to assist:
- Costs incurred by an impact on service delivery due to increased demand (i.e. more immediately incurred costs), AND/OR
- The affects that Coronavirus is having on your organisations financial sustainability over a period of 6 months following the date of your application
NB: Demand will far exceed the amount of grant funding available, so applicants should only ask for funds that can be clearly justified as urgent against the criteria above.
Who Can Apply?
Organisations must be based in or have a track record of delivering services in Merton, for the benefit of Merton residents. They must also have an independent organisational bank account with at least two non-related signatories. We will not fund individuals, sole traders or organisations established to make a profit. Before you consider applying for a grant, you need to be sure that your organisation and your project are eligible for a Merton Giving Coronavirus Grant Award. The following are eligible:
- Registered Charities
- Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO)
- Charitable company (limited by guarantee)
- Registered Community Interest Company (CIC)
- Constituted Community organisation or association
- Social enterprises
The activities which you are applying for funding for must be legally charitable, for the public benefit and benefit Merton residents. This fund is for organisations with an annual turnover of £1,000,000 or less in the last financial year (or a mean average of less than £1,000,000 over the last three financial years). Organisations with unrestricted reserves that equate to more than 6 months running costs of the organisation are not eligible to apply for this fund.
What You Can Apply For
- Activities and service delivery that supports local residents to cope with the challenging circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Short term core costs, overheads and equipment ( for example, rent, rates, utilities, broadband connection, laptops to enable remote working,) that enable your organisation to keep operating.
What We Will Not Fund
- Long term core costs , including salaries or wages. Nor will we provide funds that will be used to provide grants and donations to other organisations or individuals.
Decision making, deadlines and how to apply
- The intention is to respond to eligible and successfully completed applications within 14 days of application
- Eligible applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a panel sitting and making decisions on a weekly basis until further notice
- Applications submitted by (23.59 on a Sunday) will be put forward and assessed at weekly panel meetings held each Wednesday
- This Fund has a rolling deadline
- Apply online here
To keep up to date with our fund announcements please follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and by subscribing to MVSC’s eBulletin. Donations to the fund can be made here.
Thank you to everyone that has generously contributed to the Merton Giving Coronavirus Fund.
- The local business community alongside sponsored events have raised £20,000.
- Wimbledon Foundation and Clarion Futures, the charitable foundation of Clarion Housing Group, have each pledged £20,000 in matched donations.
- Merton Council, has committed to a £50,000 donation.
- Our online fundraising campaign, has raised £2,500 in its first two weeks and will continue to raise money to grow the fund.
Merton Giving is a charitable initiative from partners MVSC and Merton Chamber of Commerce, supported by Merton Council.